After much thought, research and prayer, we've revised our list of "highs."
Place "A" still stands, although it requires a really hard language. N is a bit nervous about being able to master it. Me too.
Place "B" still stands.
Place "C" still stands. I'm finding that places B and C will be tough as they are very popular. Many of N's colleagues are bidding them as high.
Place "D" is no longer a high for us. What were we thinking? Leave in July/August? Yes, our baby girl will probably have adjusted to life but we would have had to perform the logistics circus while sleep deprived adjusting to a family of 5. Maybe someday, Place "D".
Place "E": a bit of a stretch, as it is a "luxury" post. Great for career, good language, good traveling options nearby, good schooling options. Easy transition to FS life, a very "Western" country. Fun place to live, lots of cultural things to check out. It leaves a bit earlier than the others, not sure if N will have time to get all his training done.
Place "F": I never would have thought to choose to go here, but all things considered, it's a decent post. Good schooling options, inexpensive to live there, great food. We have FS contacts with kids who have enjoyed their time here.
Place "G": I'm not totally sold on this place, but again, all things considered, it's a good post. Great for career, good language, inexpensive to live there, beautiful surroundings (beach!), good schooling options.
Place "H": Good language, good schooling options, great food, lots of cultural things to check out. Good local traveling options.
I guess all posts will have lots of cultural things to check out, but places A, B, C, E and H would especially be fun.
Is it bad that I'm considering "great food" as a qualifier?
We have contacts in places E and F with whom we can enjoy Christian fellowship, which is important to us. There are churches in all of the above places.
We meet with N's CDO on Friday to present our case: our preferences, priorities and whatnot. Then all the CDOs get together and make the assignments. Even though we let them know what are "highs" are, it's not guaranteed that we'll get posted to any of them. Ultimately, it's in God's hands and I need to stop worrying. So what if we get sent to PLACE Z, our very last choice? He will give us the grace and resources to make it through. It will just be for 2 years.
It's hard to stop worrying where you'd be... but like you said, God will make sure you guys are in the right place... I'm thrilled for you!! Keep on posting....
ReplyDelete