Monday, March 19, 2012

You can't take it (all) with you

As I go through my kitchen preparing meals and cleaning, I find myself making a mental list of all the things I will have to ship and all the things I hope to sell at a yard sale.  Like that frying pan (a nice All-Clad one mind you) that I haven't used in years, that bundt cake pan I used just once and the set of cute dessert plates our real estate agent got for us as part of our welcome home gift basket, never used.  I also have 3 sets of measuring spoons and cups (Why??).  And toys... don't even get me started on toys.  Or what about that dress that I got on clearance just because it was on clearance, never wore it?  And probably never will?

Did I ever tell you that having my own yard sale has been a childhood dream of mine?  There's just something about cleaning house, organizing, setting prices, labeling, sitting on a lawn chair watching people consider your junk to be treasures.

I'll also have to have a "Raid My Pantry and Fridge" party before we leave.  I can't exactly take a half bag of pretzels, a partially used jug of soy sauce or a stick of butter with us abroad.  Well maybe the pretzels, considering we'll have 3 kids and most likely a nursing mommy on the plane.

The State Dept. will provide furnished housing wherever we go.  From what I have read, the housing is pretty decent.  We wouldn't pay rent or utilities.  We would just need to bring decorative items, rugs, kitchen stuff, kid stuff, etc.  They put everything else in storage for you.  It is also nice that they send movers to pack and move/ship things for you.  All I have to do is to basically put stuff in piles.  They really try to make things easier on you.  If we are not able to bring our car, they will put that in storage for you and even start it up once a month and maintain it.

We hope to hold onto our house for the time being.  DC will always be our home base in between posts so it will be nice to come back to some place familiar.  I think our house is very rentable: good school district, close to GMU (although the idea of a bunch of college frat boys students renting our house kind of scares me), minutes away from the VRE commuter train (takes you straight into Arlington and DC) and walking distance to Target.  So local friends- if you know of anyone looking to rent a 3 BR, 2 FB, 2 HB townhouse in a quiet neighborhood with nice neighbors within the next year, let me know!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my! Things are moving fast and furious for you... what a huge change, but I'm so excited for you and for your growing family! Did you say April???

    ReplyDelete