Now that I'm sort of starting to get my act together, I decided to organize my kitchen cabinets. I needed to buy some plastic storage bins. So I decided to tag along with my friend to Tesco. Tesco is the closest major store to where we live. It's basically like a Chinese Walmart Superstore. You can get household goods, clothes, toys, groceries. Not the best quality, but good enough.
We pull into the parking garage and saw that the traffic going in was at a standstill. Man, I really wish I had my camera. On the opposite side, the garage exit, there is a man lying on the road, just a few yards before the ticket booth. He is surrounded by a crowd of onlookers. He is lying sideways, supported by his elbow and hand, almost like he is lounging. He is hollering something, angry. I can only assume that he was hit by a car and is waiting for some sort of medical attention. So the Tesco garage is closed. My friend and I decide to go to... Walmart instead.
Yes, a real Walmart. Just on the other side of the highway. It was my first time. I think I prefer Tesco but it had everything I needed. One of the things on my shopping list was a little trash can for the bathroom. I saw one that was labeled "Wasted Basket." Niiiiiiiice.
I then bought a 5 pack of Chinese ramen noodles that came with a random metal bowl, for free. Yesssss.
There are a few problems with this Walmart. One, there is a parking garage underneath but it has no light. Pretty dangerous. There is ample parking outside, especially when you shop in the morning, but you can't take your cart outside. So if you have a lot of things to carry (like I did today), you better make sure you go with a friend who can help you out.
While I was waiting for my friend to come back I saw two people speed walk out with a couple of clear gargabe bags filled to the brim with what looked like ground pork. I wish I didn't see that. Now I'm going to think about it everytime I order anything at the restaurant containing ground meat.
We then went to the McDonald's next door, which amazingly has a drive through! But none of my friends use it because they can't understand us with our gringo accents. I can't even order since my Chinese is nonexistent but luckily, they have a picture menu that I can point at in addition to my charades. (Can you act out no mayo? I sure can't...)
Just another morning out shopping in Shenyang.
No comments:
Post a Comment