...and I love that my baby boy can enjoy it too. Wheat! Barley! Rye! Soy sauce! Yes, soy sauce (the good stuff, anyway) contains wheat. J was having tummy troubles for some time and combined with anemia which just doesn't seem to be getting better despite the iron supplements and his love for red meat, the doctor recommended that we run some tests, starting with food allergies and Celiacs.
The prospect of J having a food allergy didn't really scare me so much. After all, his big brother NJ was diagnosed with dairy, egg, soy, peanut and tree nut allergies at 7 months. I cut all of that from my diet as I was nursing. It was hard finding things to eat, but I tell ya, I lost a lot of weight. No dessert, basically. At age 1 NJ had outgrown all but the peanut and tree nut allergies. Trivia: did you know that peanut is not a nut? It's a legume.
I can live with that. I will never know the joys of the convenience of PB&J and will have to reserve my love for PB and chocolate combination, especially in the form of frozen desserts, for when we are eating out. It's not the end of the world.
But when I faced the possibility of J not being able to tolerate gluten as found in wheat, I was a bit overwhelmed. We had him on a gluten-free diet for a few weeks while we waited for the results to come back and it was difficult and expensive. $5 for a box of 6 gluten- free waffles? They weren't even tasty.
I am happy to report that the Celiacs test came back negative as did all the other food allergies. So we are back on full-strength soy sauce and Eggos. Yes! I am especially relieved as I was anticipating having a hard time finding gluten-free options when we go abroad. It might be tricky with peanuts and tree nuts depending on where we are, but not as hard a gluten. One less thing to worry about.
I just hope that J's iron levels have gone up when we go in for his 18 month check up.
No comments:
Post a Comment