Yes, yes, I know. Worst blogger ever. I will try my best to update more. Things have been crazy here, but in a good way. Now that our car is here I've been out and about almost every day and by the time all three munchkins are in bed, I am too exhausted to do anything.
Driving in Shenyang has been... a lot easier than I thought. I have seen some crazy things here, but things don't seem as bad from the driver's seat. I feel like I'm already anticipating the local drivers' tendencies. I've learned to drive both more aggressively than ever AND defensively than ever. How is that even possible? Just try driving in Shenyang.
So based on my limited observations from driving here in the last few weeks or so, my version of Shenyang driving rules.
1. Wearing a seat belt is for losers. Why do you think half of the cars don't even come installed with seat belts in the back seat?
2. Don't bother turning on your headlights when it rains, when it's cloudy, or during dusk.
3. White dashed lines are meant to be straddled, not to be driven in between.
4. Feel like taking a nap? Or involved in a really intense conversation? Please, by all means, stop the car and do what you need to do. It's OK if you're in the middle lane on the highway.
5. Do not leave more than 5cm of space between you and the car in front of you, because you WILL be cut off.
6. If you see 5cm of space in the lane next to you, you must swing on over.
7. Using a turn signal is a total waste of time and energy.
8. Having only one left turn lane cramping your style? Go ahead and pull up in the next lane and create your own.
9. Sure, it's totally fine to make a u-turn from the far right lane. (This is actually legal here...)
10. Oops! Did you miss your exit? Or turn on the wrong street? Go ahead and drive against traffic or backwards, no problemo.
11. Don't check both ways before turning onto the street. They'll stop for you or swerve to avoid you.
12. Do not check your blind spot when switching lanes.
13. Needless to say, traffic lights and signs are merely suggestions.
I'm exaggerating. Not everyone drives like this here. But I have seen everyone single one of those examples listed above, on multiple occasions.
And to think I used to be nervous to drive in downtown DC.
No comments:
Post a Comment